On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 5:13 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 6:18 PM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> If you believe in Darwinian evolution and if you believe you are
>>> conscious then given that evolution can't select for what it can't see
>>> and natural selection can see intelligent behavior but it can't see
>>> consciousness, can you give me an explanation of how evolution managed to
>>> produce a conscious being such as yourself if intelligence is not the
>>> inevitable byproduct of intelligence?
>>>

>> *> It's not an inevitable byproduct of intelligence if consciousness is
>> an epiphenomenon. *
>>

> That remark makes no sense, and you never answered my question. If
> consciousness is an epiphenomenon, and from Evolutions point of you it
> certainly is, then the only way natural selection could've produced
> consciousness is if its the inevitable byproduct of something else that is
> not an epiphenomenon, something like intelligence. And you know for a fact
> that Evolution has produced consciousness at least once and probably many
> billions of times.

I mostly agree, my only hang up is with the word 'inevitable'. I think it's
possible there was consciousness before there was intelligence, depending
on how you define intelligence.

>> *> As you like to say, consciousness may just be how data feels as it's
>> being processed. If so, that doesn't imply anything about intelligence per
>> se, beyond the minimum intelligence required to process data at all.*
>>

> For the purposes of this argument it's irrelevant if any sort of data
> processing can produce consciousness or if only the type that leads to
> intelligence can because evolution doesn't select for data processing it
> selects for intelligence, but you can't have intelligence without data
> processing.

You keep coming back to intelligence in a conversation about consciousness.
That's fine, but when you do you're implicitly working with a theory of
consciousness. Then, you're demanding that I use your theory of
consciousness when you insist that I answer questions about consciousness
through the framing of evolution. It's a bit of a contradiction to be using
a theory of consciousness to point out how pointless theories of
consciousness are.

> *> do you agree that testimony of experience constitutes facts about
>> consciousness?*
>>

> Only if I first assume that intelligence implies consciousness, otherwise
> I'd have no way of knowing if the being giving the testimony about
> consciousness was itself conscious. And only if I am convinced that the
> being giving the testimony was as honest as he can be. And only if I feel
> confident we agree about the meeting of certain words, like "green" and
> "red" and "hot" and "cold" and you guessed it "consciousness".

OK, fine, let's say intelligence implies consciousness, the account given
was honest (as in, nobody witnessing the account would have a credible
reason to doubt it), and we can agree on all those terms.

Then do you agree that said account constitutes facts about consciousness?

Terren