On 11-07-2021 00:59, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 8:27 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

On 10-07-2021 21:41, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List wrote:
On 7/10/2021 1:19 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
So, in general we can conclude by generalizing this to any large
number of particles that even with what we consider to be
permanent
records, you don't get rid of the theoretical possibility of
interference between the sectors where those records are
different.

We can if the universe is expanding faster than light beyond the
Hubble
radius.

The expansion of the universe is irrelevant. The information needed
see the interference pattern continues to exist outside the horizon
when
it isn't accessible to us anymore. And this is irrelevant for the
discussions about observations in quantum mechanics. If an observer
performs a measurement and the claim is that this is a unitary
process
with the observer evolving into a superposition, while the objection

against this claim is that infrared photons are escaping and will
eventually move beyond the Hubble volume, then these photons will
still
not have escaped beyond the Hubble horizon by the time the observer
is
aware of the results of the experiment. So, whether or not the
photons
will eventually no longer be accessible, cannot be relevant.

Once the photons escape from the immediate environs of the experiment,
they are not recoverable. Try shining a torch at night to illuminate a
tree. Now try to stop the illumination already present. You can stop
future illumination by covering the torch, or switching it off. But
once the tree is illuminated it is not reversible. The expansion of
the universe, and the existence of the Hubble horizon, just makes the
irreversibility more obvious.

Nothing stops you from doing the experiment in a closed volume with mirrors at the boundary. Since what we measure in a experiments is determined by the laws of physics which are local in nature, the sort of we impose boundary conditions on photons far away is irrelevant. Whether or not an observer measuring the z-component of a spin that was polarized in the positive x-direction ends up in a superposition where there are objectively both outcomes being realized or only one outcome does not depend on whether or not all the escaping infrared photons can actually be captured and be made part of a giant interference experiment to demonstrate an interference to prove that the superposition indeed exists.

The existence of the superposition depends on the validity of quantum mechanics for large systems. One can prove or disprove that in suitable experiments. Once that's done and, say, collapse theories are ruled out then it's not necessary to prove this over and over again for each and every case. As things stand now, we can't rule out that an objective collapse can happen, but this would require a violation of quantum mechanics.

Bruce

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLSjqpTNcrnEWiHLsjfV_JgTOooBB-0uaW27DdByMTWrWQ%40mail.gmail.com
[1].

Links: