On 7/26/2021 2:32 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 7:09 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        >> In the final analysis the only way to test a theory is by
        making objective observations about the way things behave, but
        consciousness is a subjective phenomenon and that's what
        causes the problem. The theory that other humans besides me
        are conscious is perfectly consistent with all observable
        evidence, but so is the theory that I am the only conscious
being in the universe,

        /> But that's inconsistent with the theory that consciousness
        is instantiated by physical processes in the brain./

No it is not. Your brain operates differently than my brain, if it did not then we would be the same person. Only one chunk of matter in the observable universe operates in a johnkclarkien way, and the theory that the johnkclarkien way is the only way consciousness can be produced is perfectly consistent with all observational evidence available to me. And even I am not conscious all the time, not when I'm sleeping or under anesthetic and I almost certainly won't be conscious when I'm dead either.

    > And that theory is supported by many observations and experiments
    on brains and the reports by subjects.

Many? When it comes to consciousness I have one and only one data point to work with, and there are an infinite number of ways to draw a line through a single point.

Really?  Do you really reject the theory that other people are conscious in a way similar to you?  There are certainly similarities of intelligence, including the ways in which we a tricked by illusions and priming by words.  I think the "hard problem of consciousness" is made hard by this kind insistence on incorrigible personal subjectivity which if it were applied consistently would make all science impossible: "Well I seem to have heard Bob say that the needle pointed to 2.23 but how do I know he meant the same thing that I do when I see the needle point to 2.23."

        >> and so is the theory that EVERYTHING is equally conscious,
        even grains of sand, even atoms, even quarks and electrons.
        The trouble is ANY consciousnesstheory will fit the observable
        facts just fine, and that's why ALL consciousnesstheories are
        utterly useless, except for the theory that solipsism is
untrue, that one has a use.

    /> But that's the way all theories are.  We provisionally believe
    the ones that are consistent with the facts/

All theories of consciousness fit the facts,

With sufficiently bizarre ancillary assumptions.  You apparently agree with Bruno that a blow to the head doesn't eliminate consciousness thru a effect on your brain; it's merely a discontinuity in the stream of experiences called "John K Clark" and his brain is merely a construct of this stream.  I find the theory that consciousness is produced by brain activity to be pretty good.

the same can certainly *NOT* be said of theories of intelligence, that's why consciousness is easy but intelligence is hard.

    > /And the theory of minds, that other people (and animals) are
    conscious and have an internal narrative, is extremely useful and
    in fact any human lineage*that did not hold* that theory has
    already been eliminated by evolution. /

I agree, but if consciousness is not the way data feels when it is being processed (which I have a hunch is true even though I will never be able to prove it)

Do you think you could be conscious in the way you are without language?

then a non-conscious being could still calculate how its own actions are likely to affect the environment in the future, and part of that environment would be other non-conscious beings, who also calculate what affect their actions will have on the environment in the future. When 3 grains of sand interact in a Newtonian gravitational way, one grain of sand changes the position of the other two grains, and the other two grains change the position of the first grain, however that is not evidence that the 3 grains of sand are conscious. Of course it is not evidence that the 3 grains of sand are not conscious either.

    /> Did you ever read Julian Jaynes "The Origin of Consciousness in
    the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"?/

No I haven't read it, I have heard a little bit about itand my first impression (which I admit may be unfair because as I've said I have not read the entire book so maybe parts of it are good) is that it just proposes yet another theory of consciousness that is no better and no worse than every other rival theory of consciousness.

Jaynes takes perceptive consciousness as given and develops a theory of how narrative consciousness evolved.  Of course it doesn't prove that's what happened anymore than the fact that you and I can discuss consciousness proves we have it.  But proof is for mathematicians.  Empiricists just look of a good enough theory.