From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: spudboy...@aol.com
Cc: everything-list@googlegroups.com <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Oct 20, 2022 7:09 am
Subject: Re: The ex-president admits he gave top-secret information to somebody
without a security clearance

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 5:56 PM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> Woodward and Bernstein created deep throat out of whole cloth, and then
> attributed it to Mark Felt.

Wow, you've served us up heaping plates of nonsense before but this is
something special, this is undiluted, triple distilled, extra virgin BULLSHIT!
It's been 50 years and history has made its judgment, what Woodward and
Bernstein said was almost entirely true and what Nixon said was almost entirely
lies.
And for goodness sake's spud, Woodward has a recording of Trump saying in his
own voice that what he is giving him is top-secret. So you're asking us to
believe you and not our own ears.

 > I hated Nixon, but in comparison to George McGovern, he was better.

Although there were other issues by far the principal issue of the 1972
presidential campaign was the Vietnam war, it was certainly uppermost in my
mind because at the time I was of draft age and had no wish to be shipped
12,000 miles away so I could slogg through flooded rice fields while being shot
at; I knew the student deferment was unfair but I did not hesitate to take
advantage of it and I'm glad I did because it probably saved my life. Lyndon
Johnson started that war but about a third of the deaths that occurred during
it happened during the Nixon administration, and by then it was obvious to
nearly everybody that the war was lost, I think it was even obvious to Nixon.
George McGovern said we should end the war immediately and just get out, when
asked how he responded with "in ships", and I liked that, I liked that a lot.
Nixon said we shouldn't do that because it was undignified, ( and it would've
been but it's always undignified when you lose a war), and because it would
mean that all the American soldiers that have already died would've died for
nothing, (and his solution turned out to be cause 15,000 more American soldiers
dying for nothing ).  And Nixon said the main reason we shouldn't just get out
is the completely discredited "Domino Theory ", the idea that if one nation in
Southeast Asia went communist every nation would.  Well Vietnam did end up
going communist as I think everybody in 1972 knew it would but it didn't result
in worldwide communism, instead the entire USSR disintegrated about a decade
later because communism is an inherently inefficient economic system and
provides fertile ground for corruption. The US lost the Vietnam war but today I
don't believe we would've been one bit better off if we had won it.
You say Nixon was better than McGovern, but was he 15,000 American lives
better, hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese lives better, and hundreds of
billions of dollars better?

 > Policies matter far more than personalities

I don't like Trump's Anti-NATO policy. I don't like Trump's policy of trusting
Vladimir Putin more than his own CIA. I don't like Trump's policy of
blackmailing Ukraine. I don't like Trump's policy of lowering the taxes on the
ultra mega super rich. I don't like Trump's policy of ignoring a pandemic and
pretending we could just continue on as usual and insisting nothing disastrous
was happening. I don't like Trump's policy of never telling the truth. I don't
like Trump's policy of giving ridiculous and downright dangerous medical
advice. I don't like Trump's policy of instigating a coup d'état and trying to
destroy the Constitution.
Oh, and I'm not a big fan of Trump's personality either.
edm