On Sat, Jul 6, 2024 at 3:03 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> ** I think such foresight is a necessary component of intelligence, not
> a "byproduct".*

I agree, I can detect the existence of foresight in others and so can
natural selection, and that's why we have it.  It aids in getting our genes
transferred into the next generation. But I was talking about consciousness
not foresight, and regardless of how important we personally think
consciousness is, from evolution's point of view it's utterly useless, and
yet we have it, or at least I have it. Why? It must be because
consciousness is the byproduct of something else that is not useless, there
are no other possibilities.  Incidentally, GPT has demonstrated foresight,
when shown a picture of somebody holding a pair of scissors next to a
string holding down a helium balloon and  asked "what comes next?" it
replies that the string is about to be cut by the scissors and then the
balloon will float away.

hbf