On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 3:14 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 1:58 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *>>> ** I think such foresight is a necessary component of intelligence,

>>> natural selection, and that's why we have it.  It aids in getting our genes
>>> transferred into the next generation. But I was talking about consciousness
>>> not foresight, and regardless of how important we personally think
>>> consciousness is, from evolution's point of view it's utterly useless,
>>> and yet we have it, or at least I have it.
>>>

>> *> you don't seem to think zombies are logically possible,*
>>

> Zombies are possible, it's philosophical zombies, a.k.a. smart zombies,
> that are impossible because it's a brute fact that consciousness is the way
> data behaves when it is being processed intelligently, or at least that's
> what I think. Unless you believe that all iterated sequences of "why" or
> "how" questions go on forever then you must believe that brute facts
> exist; and I can't think of a better candidate for one than consciousness.
>
> *> so then epiphenomenalism is false*
>>

> According to the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy "*Epiphenomenalism
> is a position in the philosophy of mind according to which mental states or
> events are caused by physical states or events in the brain but do not
> themselves cause anything*". If that is the definition then I believe in
> Epiphenomenalism.

If you believe mental states do not cause anything, then you believe
philosophical zombies are logically possible (since we could remove
consciousness without altering behavior).

I view mental states as high-level states operating in their own regime of
causality (much like a Java computer program). The java computer program
can run on any platform, regardless of the particular physical nature of
it. It has in a sense isolated itself from the causality of the electrons
and semiconductors, and operates in its own realm of the causality of if
statements, and for loops. Consider this program, for example:

[image: twin-prime-program2.png]

What causes the program to terminate? Is it the inputs, and the logical
relation of primality, or is it the electrons flowing through the CPU? I
would argue that the higher-level causality, regarding the logical
relations of the inputs to the program logic is just as important. It
determines the physics of things like when the program terminates. At this
level, the microcircuitry is relevant only to its support of the higher
level causal structures, but the program doesn't need to be aware of nor
consider those low-level things. It operates the same regardless.

I view consciousness as like that high-level control structure. It operates
within a causal realm where ideas and thoughts have causal influence and
power, and can reach down to the lower level to do things like trigger
nerve impulses.

Here is a quote from Roger Sperry, who eloquently describes what I am
speaking of:

"I am going to align myself in a counterstand, along with that
approximately 0.1 per cent mentalist minority, in support of a hypothetical
brain model in which consciousness and mental forces generally are given
their due representation as important features in the chain of control.
These appear as active operational forces and dynamic properties that
interact with and upon the physiological machinery. Any model or
description that leaves out conscious forces, according to this view, is
bound to be pretty sadly incomplete and unsatisfactory. The conscious mind
in this scheme, far from being put aside and dispensed with as an
"inconsequential byproduct," "epiphenomenon," or "inner aspect," as is the
customary treatment these days, gets located, instead, front and center,
directly in the midst of the causal interplay of cerebral mechanisms.

Mental forces in this particular scheme are put in the driver's seat, as it
were. They give the orders and they push and haul around the physiology and
physicochemical processes as much as or more than the latter control them.
This is a scheme that puts mind back in its old post, over matter, in a
sense-not under, outside, or beside it. It's a scheme that idealizes ideas
and ideals over physico-chemical interactions, nerve impulse traffic-or
DNA. It's a brain model in which conscious, mental, psychic forces are
recognized to be the crowning achievement of some five hundred million
years or more of evolution.

[...] The basic reasoning is simple: First, we contend that conscious or
mental phenomena are dynamic, emergent, pattern (or configurational)
properties of the living brain in action -- a point accepted by many,
including some of the more tough-minded brain researchers. Second, the
argument goes a critical step further, and insists that these emergent
pattern properties in the brain have causal control potency -- just as they
do elsewhere in the universe. And there we have the answer to the age-old
enigma of consciousness.

To put it very simply, it becomes a question largely of who pushes whom
around in the population of causal forces that occupy the cranium. There
exists within the human cranium a whole world of diverse causal forces;
what is more, there are forces within forces within forces, as in no other
cubic half-foot of universe that we know.

[...] Along with their internal atomic and subnuclear parts, the brain
molecules are obliged to submit to a course of activity in time and space
that is determined very largely by the overall dynamic and spatial
properties of the whole brain cell as an entity. Even the brain cells,
however, with their long fibers and impulse conducting elements, do not
have very much to say either about when or in what time pattern, for
example, they are going to fire their messages. The firing orders come from
a higher command. [...]

In short, if one climbs upward through the chain of command within the
brain, one finds at the very top those overall organizational forces and
dynamic properties of the large patterns of cerebral excitation that
constitute the mental or psychic phenomena. [...]

Near the apex of this compound command system in the brain we find ideas.
In the brain model proposed here, the causal potency of an idea, or an
ideal, becomes just as real as that of a molecule, a cell, or a nerve
impulse. Ideas cause ideas and help evolve new ideas. They interact with
each other and with other mental forces in the same brain, in neighboring
brains, and in distant, foreign brains. And they also interact with real
consequence upon the external surroundings to produce in toto an explosive
advance in evolution on this globe far beyond anything known before,
including the emergence of the living cell."

-- Roger Sperry <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Wolcott_Sperry> in "Mind,
Brain, and Humanist Values
<https://www.informationphilosopher.com/solutions/scientists/sperry/Mind_Brain_and_Humanist_Values.html>"
(1966)