On Sat, Jul 13, 2024 at 10:34 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> The machine is universal.  You don't need a different machine with
> different internal states.*

*First of all, the very definition of "a different Turing Machine" is
a machine with a different set of internal states*. And there is not just
one Turing machine, there are an *infinite* number of them. *There are
64 one state two symbol (zero and one) Turing Machines, 20,736 two
state, **16,777,216
three state, **25,600,000,000 four state, and **634,033,809,653,824 five
state two symbol T**uring Machines. *

A Turing Machine with different sets of* internal states** will
exhibit** different
behavior even if given identical input states. *I think What confuses you
is that it is possible to have a machine in which the tape not only
provides the program the machine should work on but also the set of
internal states that the machine has. In a way you could think of the tape
as providing not only the program but also the wiring diagram of the
computer. A universal Turing Machine is in an undefined state until the
input tape, *or something else*, puts it in one specific state.

*Consider the Busy beaver function, if you feed in a tape with all zeros on
it into all 4 state Turing Machines and ask "which of those 25,600,000,000
machines will print the most ones before stopping" (it's important that the
machine eventually stops), you will find this is not an easy question. All
the machines are operating on identical input tapes (all zeros) but they
behave differently, some stop almost immediately, others just keep printing
1 forever, but for others the behavior is vastly more complicated. It turns
out that the winner is a set of states that prints out 13 ones after making
107 moves. *

*A five state Turing Machine behaves differently, we just found out that a
particular set of internal states prints 2098 ones after making 47,176,870
moves. I wouldn't be surprised if the sixth Busy Beaver number is not
computable, we know for a fact that any busy beaver number for a 745 State
Turing machine or larger is not computable.  Right now all we know about
BB(6) is that it's larger than
10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10.*

*The point of all this is that Turing Machines with different sets of
internal states behave very differently. *

mth