On Sunday, July 14, 2024 at 3:51:27 AM UTC+2 John Clark wrote:

Yes it's possible to have a universal Turing machine in the sense that you
can run any program by just changing the tape, however ONLY if that tape
has instructions for changing the set of states  that the machine can be
in.

It still boggles my mind that matter is Turing-complete. And this despite
parts of physics being not Turing emulable. We can implement Turing
Machines with matter, and even with constraints in the physical world, it
appears to be the basic principle of brains, cells, and computers.

Just for clarity’s sake, we should distinguish the idea of Turing/universal
machine with some demonstrative physical implementation, like some
computer, tape machine, or LLM running on my table/in the cloud: By Turing
machine, I mean a T machine u such that phi_u(x, y) = phi_x(y). We call “u”
the computer, x is named the program, and y is the data. Of course, (x, y)
is supposed to be a number (coding the two numbers x and y). And yeah, you
can specify it with infinite tape, print, read, write heads, and many other
formalisms that have proven equivalent etc. but the class of functions is
the same. The set of partially computable functions from N to N with the
standard definitions and axioms.

There are a lot of posts distinguishing this computer here, that LLM there,
that brain in my head etc. ostensively, as if we knew what we were talking
about. If we believe we are Turing emulable at some level of description,
then we are not able to distinguish between ourselves and our experiences
when emulated in say Python, which is emulated by Rust, which is emulated
by Swift, which is emulated by Kotlin, which is emulated by Go, which is
emulated by Elixir, which is emulated by Julia, which is emulated by
TypeScript, which is emulated by R, which is emulated by a physical
universe, itself emulated by arithmetic (e.g. assuming arithmetical realism
like Russell and Bruno), from “our self” emulated in Rust, emulated by
Python, emulated by Go, emulated by Swift, emulated by Julia, emulated by
Elixir, emulated by Kotlin, emulated by R, emulated by TypeScript, emulated
by arithmetic, emulated by a physical universe…

That’s the difficulty of defining what a physical instantiation of a
computation is (See Maudlin and MGA). For if we could distinguish those
computations, we’d have something funky in consciousness, which would not
be Turing emulable, falsifying the arithmetical realism type approaches.
And if you have that, I’d like to know everything about you, your diet,
reading habits, pets, family, beverages, medicines etc. and whether
something like gravity is Turing emulable, even if I guess it isn’t. Send
me that message in private though and don’t publish anything.