On Sunday, July 14, 2024 at 3:35:59 PM UTC+2 Quentin Anciaux wrote:

I think you miss the difference between UTM, Universal turing machine and
turing machine...

https://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/69197/difference-between-turing-machine-and-universal-turing-machine#:~:text=A%20Turing%20machine%20can%20be,input%20and%20generates%20some%20output
.

Right. It’s common to say Turing Machines when we mean Universal Turing
Machines and the difference is what I’ve been trying to outline in some
recent posts. LLMs, like GPT-4, are fundamentally deterministic in nature
when their state (model parameters) and inputs are fixed. The process of
generating text involves (complex) mathematical transformations based on
the input and the model's weights, which are determined during the training
phase.

As further evidence for this, you have predictable outputs: If you provide
the exact same input and ensure the model state is unchanged, the output
will be the same. While LLMs can incorporate randomness (e.g., through
temperature settings during text generation), this is externally introduced
and can be controlled. Contrasting them to computers further: LLMs do not
have an inherent mechanism to manage state transitions over time beyond
their initial training. LLMs follow learned patterns rather than executing
predefined algorithms with control flow structures like loops and
conditionals.

LLMs run on computers and not the other way around. They excel in mimicking
human-like reasoning by generating plausible continuations and answers
based on vast amounts of learned data. However, their reasoning is
associative and pattern-based, lacking true logical inference capabilities.