If email sent outside your organisation, you have no way of being able
to 100% guarantee that the email has been read.

The three ways to assist you are:

Read receipt: depends if the receiving mail clients will honour a read
receipt request.

Web bug: a single pixel image that is externally referenced in the
email, that is unique to each recipient.
http://yourserver/newsletter1/1.gif  == User1
http://yourserver/newsletter1/2.gif  == User2
etc
you can then correlate the weblogs to your database

Unique Link:    similar to Web Bug - A unique link in email to each
recipient (HTML email best)
e.g.
<a
href="http://s0.tx.co.nz/at/tep34n411214j71828i127063f1c3718591a4t9s4z";
target="new"><font size="2" face="Verdana">- Milne versus
Mayne</font></a>

http://s0.tx.co.nz/at/tep34n411214j71828i127063f1c3718591a4t9s4z

This enables you to know they have clicked individual links within the
email  and see what content they are interested in.
The unique link redirects to the actual content and you can then
correlate the weblogs to your database

Hth

Dean C