Brick level backups are generally a "bad" idea.

Michael Semiglia

-----Original Message-----
From: Derrick Stevenson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 12:23 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: Tivoli

We switched from BackupExec to TSM.  For us, it took awhile to get it setup
properly because it was completely new to us, and the documentation Sucks.
You will quickly get tired of "See System Administrator" as the books
solution to most problems. But, it has its pros and cons like everything
else:

Pros:
-Faster backup/restore than BackupExec (We use disk pools and migrate to IBM
MagStar 3590 tape library) -TDP 2.2 GUI is pretty simple. -The TSM database
makes it easy to do Point-in-Time restores and eliminates the need for doing
individual catalogs or inventories of tapes.

Cons:
-We have had problems restoring Exchange after data has been migrated from
disk pool to tape pool. -Documentation sucks -No mailbox level backup
(compared to Backup Exec).  Have to restore to test/alternate server and
export mailbox, though process is much faster than a full restore w/
BackupExec.