Seeing as the problem you're experiencing is most likely the direct result
of one of your offline database management practices, you might want to
change your thinking on it.

The only time I've ever seen a good reason to do them is following a large
scale change on a server - like migrating 30GB of user data off it.

Exchange does a phenominal job of self-managing the database. Better than
you can do, with few exceptions.

Take the compacting process - you do it every 6 months (IIRC). Why? I'd bet
that the store hits a relatively constant size at the end of that 6 month
period, and all things considered, the amount of white space stays
relatively consistent. So, in a nutshell, you're doing something that has no
upside, yet has the very real possibility of causing damage.

Roger
Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Sr. Systems Administrator
Peregrine Systems