I agree - the situation we had here was that limits were never established
when Exchange was installed - people will convince themselves they need
everything they've ever received if they're given the chance (this applies
to file storage, as well).  In our case, it was mostly a training issue -
once we showed users how to archive, and how to remove large attachments to
disk, and how to delete their deleted items folder, they became (with a
couple exceptions) quite cooperative.

John