Well, if you put in the "< >", XP wants to add an "http://"; in front of it.
If you do not put that in, it just creates the shortcut, but then it
throws up an error message saying that Outlook cannot open the folder or
file. I even tried to "~" as suggested by Slipstick. No luck. Stupid. I
hate it when Microsoft puts things into their product and then strips out
functionality or significantly changes things to the point that stuff does
not work. Poor, very poor, backwards compatibility.