Sendmail isn't easy to setup, or administrator.  We ran Sendmail for years out in the
DMZ, so I speak from much experience.  If you must run Sendmail, then I recommend the
commercially supported Sendmail Switch, which will run on Windows 2000, and is
available from http://www.sendmail.com/products/msmgr_routing.shtml.  It comes with a
web interface, and for someone who isn't Unix experienced, is at least, doable.

My biggest issue with Sendmail is that is a HUGE security risk - it has a new massive
security hole about once every six months.  Due to the nature of its design - one size
fits all - and that it runs damn near everything as root, I would say it is impossible
to every be truly secure.

Last week, for example, a new hole was discovered and received world-wide publicity: a
buffer overflow, which was accessible simply by sending a specially constructed email
with a malformed TO, CC, or BCC line to a non-patched Sendmail server.  When
exploited, it gave root control of the Sendmail server to the attacker.

I recommend qmail, which is not only highly secure - it has NEVER had a security
breach - but is also at least 4-5 times as fast as Sendmail, and much, much easier to
set up and configure.

Jesse Wendel
Sr. Technical Systems Analyst
Primary Messaging/DNS Administrator