I guess we're kind of lucky. Our ISP filters all our mail before
delivering it to our Exchange server AND he doesn't charge us for it
(makes sense if you think about it - he's saving bandwidth as much as we
are). I don't know of all the rules he uses but there are two:  reverse
DNS lookup and checking the HELO greeting against the RFC. If the mail
fails either one it never comes across the wire to his server.

Needless to say we have a number of irate parents who complain that they
can't get mail through but in EVERY case it was a misconfigured email
server on their end.

For those who absolutely MUST get mail through, I have a separate school
account set up with the ISP on a non-spam basis, configured so that
Outlook will check it every 5 minutes. So the end-user gets an email
alert when new mail comes into that account.

They really don't know that the account exists so they can't use it to
register for free stuff on the web.

Some crap still gets through, but iHateSpam does a pretty good job of
stopping the few pieces that do.

John Orban
System Administrator
The Country School