Hello,

This is still a mystery to me.  Could somebody explain, or point me in
the right direction, as to how this all REALLY works?  And also, to make
sure things are configured correctly (on the secondary server)?

What is the overall process, on how mail gets routed - and the criteria
that has to be met, before a Primary mail server is given up on, and
then gets sent to the secondary server?

Obviously, it all begins with DNS - you have preferences using numbers.
The lower the number, the higher the priority the Mail Server is.  So,
the first MX gets a setting like '10', and the secondary MX gets a
setting like '20'.

Once that is done - what really happens, if in fact, the primary server
is unreachable?  Does the secondary Mail Server actually need to have
all the User Accounts and Domains that the first server has in order to
accept messages?  OR, does it accept literally everything, and then
spools the mail, once the Primary Mail Server is reachable again.  And
that leads me to the next question - how does the secondary Server know
that it just accepted mails (temporarily) for a primary server, and that
it's supposed to periodically contact the Primary - so it can offload
all the mail it's been accumulating this whole time?

If somebody could explain the whole process, or refer me to an article
of some type, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Mike