Well, I've only used this setup in the *nix world.  However, this is how it
tends to work.

The sending SMTP server does an MX lookup on the e-mail destination domain,
and grabs the address of the lowest numbered MX.

It attempts to make an SMTP connection to that server.  If it fails, it will
then do another MX lookup, this time grabbing the next lowest numbered MX.
Some mail servers will grab all MX records during the first lookup.  Some
mail servers will also attempt to use the secondary MX if it encounters an
error during the SMTP session with the primary MX.  I have no idea what
Exchange would do in this case.

When the secondary MX receives a message, it will automatically attempt to
forward it to the primary MX (determined via DNS), unless told to do
otherwise (usually via manual routes).  The secondary MX will keep trying to
contact the primary MX for a set amount of time.  If it times out, it should
return an NDR to the sending SMTP server.

Steven
---
Steven Dickenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Network Administrator