On Thu, 29 May 2003, at 9:35am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Another question - how does the Secondary server KNOW that it's a
> secondary server?  How is it setup differently, from the primary server?

  Others have answered your question well, but I feel it worth emphasizing
that MX records only tell *other* mail servers what to do.  They usually do
not influence the actual destination servers themselves.  Most SMTP
implementations need to be explicitly told to handle mail for a given
domain.  Otherwise you get errors like "Relaying denied" or "MX loops back
to me".

  The typical algorithm is something like this...

  First, the server checks an SMTP envelope's "RCPT TO" command(s).  Any
"RCPT TO" commands which specify a domain the server is configured to handle
are accepted for processing.  What exactly happens depends on the
configuration, but typically, the message is either delivered locally, or
relayed to a higher priority (lower numbered) MX.  High availability systems
may do things like use alternate routes to internal mail storage servers or
things like that.

  Any remaining "RCPT TO" commands on the envelope are thus relay attempts.
If the server is well-behaved, it will make sure the sender is authorized to
relay.  (This is where the "Relay denied" error mentioned above comes from.)
If the relay is authorized, the server will look up the destination MX, and
forward the message on to that mail exchanger.  If a server discovers that
*it* is the best MX, you get errors like "MX loops back to me".

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>