From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 11:27 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: The real story with Secondary MX

On Thu, 29 May 2003, at 9:35am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Another question - how does the Secondary server KNOW that it's a
> secondary server?  How is it setup differently, from the primary
> server?

  Others have answered your question well, but I feel it worth
emphasizing that MX records only tell *other* mail servers what to do.
They usually do not influence the actual destination servers themselves.
Most SMTP implementations need to be explicitly told to handle mail for
a given domain.  Otherwise you get errors like "Relaying denied" or "MX
loops back to me".

  The typical algorithm is something like this...

  First, the server checks an SMTP envelope's "RCPT TO" command(s).  Any
"RCPT TO" commands which specify a domain the server is configured to
handle are accepted for processing.  What exactly happens depends on the
configuration, but typically, the message is either delivered locally,
or relayed to a higher priority (lower numbered) MX.  High availability
systems may do things like use alternate routes to internal mail storage
servers or things like that.

  Any remaining "RCPT TO" commands on the envelope are thus relay
attempts.
If the server is well-behaved, it will make sure the sender is
authorized to relay.  (This is where the "Relay denied" error mentioned
above comes from.)
If the relay is authorized, the server will look up the destination MX,
and forward the message on to that mail exchanger.  If a server
discovers that
*it* is the best MX, you get errors like "MX loops back to me".

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>