-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Erik Sojka
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 3:44 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: POP = Bad? -- SMTP = Good?

That clarifies it, and I know it is difficult to do the right thing when
supporting a University.

So you *were* talking about staff POPping your mail from the Exchange
server. Eat that, Ed!  [1]

You may be able to propose a compromise:
- All SMTP mail must be delivered to the Exchange server and be AV scanned.
- Disallow file types that are commonly used to send virusesiises.  The
Martin Blackstone list in Appendix F of the FAQ may help here.  Can I assume
that if these people are using University computers, they have
University-installed and -managed AV software running on them?  That may
also mitigate the virus risk and provide another level of protection.
- Allow IMAP instead of POP?

[1] Totally kidding!!