Because Microsoft doesn’t know how you are going to shake this stick.

Each SCR source can have multiple targets. A SCR source can be a SCC, a CCR, or
a standalone server. A SCR target can be a SCC, CCR, or standalone server. A
given AD account can only be tied to one of them at a time, even if there are
multiple databases containing multiple copies of the same mailbox!

So…which source? Which target? Which lag set? How quickly to fail over? How
many logs do I apply? Do I update DNS?

With choice comes complexity.

(Believe it or not, I was just involved in a discussion with a set of MSFT
engineers this morning taking your side of this argument – that it’s too
complicated. So….I agree with you. And I believe that it will get better. You
have many advocates such as me, Neil, and William all trying to keep things
workable for the SMORG.)