I guess I would question why a novice admin would be expected to handle a
disaster recovery scenario in that Exchange environment.

I'm not trying to start an arguement, just stating that the recovery
mechanisms built into Exchange, while less user-friendly, can be
pre-architected and documented for each environment so that even a novice
admin can go through a checklist of procedures to recover.

If that's still too much for that novice admin to handle, then maybe SCR
isn't the right solution to meet your available skillset and SLA. After all,
you get what you pay for.

- Sean