Seems this turned into a b-ch fest rather than answering your original
question...;-)  While I agree this is a ridiculous characteristic in the
design and one that opens us up for DoS attacks (eventually), it is what it
is and we need to figure out how to work around it.  You have a few options;
increase the limit, move users off, or find out what is causing it and stop
it.

My first suggestion is to take inventory of where your databases are as far
as named props are concerned, you need to expose some IS counters to see
this info, but it'll give you an understanding on whether it's widespread or
concentrated on a set of databases (or users).  Next start monitoring your
event logs.  An event ID is logged by default each time a new named prop is
added (event id 9873 I believe) and when the quota's been reached (9666, 7,
8, 9).  This can help you track down the culprit.  Note, the initial limit
reached is the default quota...not the limit.  My understanding is that when
the hard limit (32k) is reached the database will dismount and you will have
to restore from backup and move users off.

In my situation I found that less than a dozen users were creating hundreds
of named props daily for weeks.  This was the result of an open source imap
client called offlineIMAP.  This client is used to bidirectionally synch
messages via IMAP.  It does this by creating a unique X-header for EVERY
message that comes in, as opposed to a single X-header with a specific
value.  After finding this out I reached out to the users, and being the
ridiculously intelligent (and curious) crew they are they crafted a patch
for offlineIMAP (http://software.complete.org/software/issues/show/114).

Hope this helps.
-alex