Another quick question.  Is there any way to see how close we are to the 32k
hard limit today?

________________________________
From: Alex Fontana [mailto:afontana...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 1:05 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Named Property Limit

Seems this turned into a b-ch fest rather than answering your original
question...;-)  While I agree this is a ridiculous characteristic in the design
and one that opens us up for DoS attacks (eventually), it is what it is and we
need to figure out how to work around it.  You have a few options; increase the
limit, move users off, or find out what is causing it and stop it.

My first suggestion is to take inventory of where your databases are as far as
named props are concerned, you need to expose some IS counters to see this
info, but it'll give you an understanding on whether it's widespread or
concentrated on a set of databases (or users).  Next start monitoring your
event logs.  An event ID is logged by default each time a new named prop is
added (event id 9873 I believe) and when the quota's been reached (9666, 7, 8,
9).  This can help you track down the culprit.  Note, the initial limit reached
is the default quota...not the limit.  My understanding is that when the hard
limit (32k) is reached the database will dismount and you will have to restore
from backup and move users off.

In my situation I found that less than a dozen users were creating hundreds of
named props daily for weeks.  This was the result of an open source imap client
called offlineIMAP.  This client is used to bidirectionally synch messages via
IMAP.  It does this by creating a unique X-header for EVERY message that comes
in, as opposed to a single X-header with a specific value.  After finding this
out I reached out to the users, and being the ridiculously intelligent (and
curious) crew they are they crafted a patch for offlineIMAP
(http://software.complete.org/software/issues/show/114).

Hope this helps.
-alex