Yes, cost is an issue.
The current SMTP gateway is an Windows 2003 server running IIS. It has Vamsoft
ORF installed on it, but the biggest problem is emails to non-valid recipients.
If I can drop those then the bandwidth saved is considerable.

Therefore given that we are going from a solution that cost less than $1000 and
requires no maintenance, the cost of the replacement solution is very
sensitive.

The 'Cuda costs close to $7,000 (taking in to account the exchange rate) for
three years, making the cost per user very high. There are probably less than
200 email addresses in total. $35/user for three years compared to $5/user one
time charge is a hard sell.

A hosted solution is completely out of the question due to the business owner's
paranoia and to a lesser extent their business type.

Plus I want them to do an Exchange 2010 upgrade, I don't want to wipe out the
IT budget on buying an appliance!

CanIT Pro looks interesting, until I got to the pricing page. Fill in the form.
Companies hiding pricing is a real pet peeve of mine. I have seen the other
side and know what goes on with variable pricing.

Oh and I know I am sounding like a broken record with references to Vamsoft
ORF, but for the price ($239) I am getting spectacular results.
http://blog.sembee.co.uk/archive/2009/11/16/112.aspx

Thanks,
Simon.