From: pramatow...@mediageneral.com [mailto:pramatow...@mediageneral.com]

Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 8:17 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Load Balancers?

We did windows nlb for a while but moved to Kemp in June.

2 sites, each has:

3 virtual CAS

2hub/MBX servers

3 copy dag, each DB has 2 copies in site, one across site.

~7K mailboxes, 1400 Blackberries, a few hundred EAS devices.

>From my post on this back in June

WNLB at first-

We went WNLB for a couple of reasons- $ and it was supported "happily"
for our size/needs.  Pretty sure it still is but MS doesn't seem to like
it nearly as much as they used to-I'd guess based on real world
experience?  Today,  those size/needs would steer towards HLB.

IIRC it was a pain for us to set up and get going properly- whether that
was WNLB, me, or just all the #$^! that was going on at the time, I
dunno. Once it was going I guess it LB's well enough as long as all the
boxes were up. not that it was a regular occurrence by any means but if
we lost/had to reboot a box it did screw with all the connections on
that box. Had to fiddle with patching too (drainstopping etc) but so it
goes.

Also unless we missed something obvious, the only health checking you
have is basically a ping test, HLB goes past that.

Kemp, once we got some extra $

Have two 2200 Loadmasters in each site.

Stuff I've done resulting in 0 client complaints-

Pulled power on the active Kemp

Rebooted a CAS

Powered down CAS

new stuff to report since June-

Patching, rebooting, doing anything to a CAS is pretty much a non-event
as far as users go.

[1] Disable a CAS on the Kemp, all connections automatically go to the
"up" servers.

[2] Do what you need to do, enable on the Kemp.

[3] Watch that it behaves, lather rinse repeat..

The few times we had to talk to Kemp while configuring and setting up
the devices they were very quick to respond and follow up.  Since then
the boxes have been 100%. Nothing but nice things to say about them...