OK, finally downloaded, installed, and used 5.3 a little bit.

I did the installation over our intranet, using ftp and static ip addresses. No
problems ... :)

Things I've noticed:

The kernel version supplied is compiled with vfat support, so Windows partitions are
accessible.

Defualt Netscape version is now 4.08 instead of 4.5. Probably a good thing, as lots of
people
find this version is more stable. 4.5 is now in the apps directory.

Netcape icons were black and white at 24 bpp colour depth, but full colour at 8 bpp or
32 bpp other colour depth (???) using the SVGA X server with a Matrox Millenium

New icons on the desktop take you to html documentation on your hard drive, and
updates or news at the Mandrake web site. (A link to the update server at RedHat might
be more useful though ;)

(Slightly) Bad things That need fixing:

Starting the KDE Control Centre, the top two icons in the tree are generic, and
labelled as 'Unknown module' (Should be Applications and Desktop). (This didn't happen
with the version I compiled from source.)

Trying to stop KDE applying it's styles to non-kde applications (Styles tab in the
Desktop option), the apply kde styles options kept restting itself ... This didn't
happen with my other version, either.

[KDE 1.1 now optionally, but by default, trys to apply its colour and font settings to
some non-KDE applications, ignoring the user settings in ~/.Xdefaults. The way this
happens for each non-kde application is customised by a file in
%KDEDIR/share/apps/kdisplay/app-defaults/ , ie, for Emacs, there is a file called
Emacs.ad. Deleting this, or copying your own styles in (eg from .Xdefaults) is one way
to make sure you get your desired effect ...]

Emacs users moving up to XFree 3.3.3.x might find the alt key doesn't work as meta
anymore, depending on which keyboard is specified during set up. Try using the left
windows flag key ...

Otherwise, much the same as before (ie very good!)

Steven