On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> > rpm -F ~ftp/pub/mirrors/(release)/Mandrake/RPMS/*.rpm
> > (personaly i do mine a portion at a time)
>
>       ...Hmm, this will really perform a "full" OS version update?
> I.e., from 6.0 to 6.1?  And not just update the relevant packages while
> keeping a 6.0 base system?

6.0 to 6.1, yes

>       I always assumed that there was some "additional" stuff that got
> upgraded, besides just the packages, when you used the floppy disk.  Like
> maybe the stuff in the /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/base directory, or some of the
> other base system stuff.

Nope

>       Will the above command take care of more serious upgrades, like
> when Redhat jumped from libc5 to glibc?  Or when the kernel started using
> a different tty system and many of the files in the /dev directory had
> their major/minor numbers changed?  Would the above command move a Redhat
> 5.2 system to a Mandrake 6.1 system?

libc5 to glibc, would be very very ugly. kernel no problem (don't forget
lilo). dev entries also no problem.

Redhat 5.2 to Mandrake 6.1, Yes if done piece meal

>       Finally, when you issue rpm -F *.rpm, I assume the packages are
> upgraded in alphabetical order...?  Will the "rpm" command handle bulk
> upgrades that must happen in a particular order, i.e., upgrade the GTK+
> packages before upgrade Gimp packages?  Or am I forced to use the --nodeps
> option when doing complete system upgrades with rpm -F?

the parameters would be given in alphabetical order yes, but rpm will
reorder most of them (alas, not all it's not perfect)

>       If this really works the same as booting off the floppy, I'll be
> shocked, amazed, and very grateful.  I've used RPM to update my system
> often, but I've always thought that would only give me a "Redhat 5.2
> system" with recent package updates (instead of a "Mandrake 6.1 system").

Not exactly like the floppy but for the most part. Well whats different
between the two.. Mainly the versions of things and lack of kde and gnome,
the installer was modified between these versions to ask if it should
install them upon upgrade. So if gnome/kde is your reason for upgradeing
from rh5.2, you'll need install these manualy. Judeging from the fact you
have to drive i assume it's a server and you just want recent everything
you already have, which is what -F does

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon