Everybody else feel free to pipe in, the cc: should be the the correct
list for those that would like tobe envloved indepth, I'm not sure ATM if
it's managed by majordomo or sympa so check the website for specific
instructions..

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> >  Have a try at rpm -F, and we'd love input on how you'd like to see it
> > improved
>
>       I'd like to perform the upgrade on a running system, have it act
> just as though I'd booted off the floppy (and not give me any complaints
> about upgrading in the proper order--i.e., just like the floppy-boot) and
> I'd like it to leave a log file of all actions and possible warning
> messages in /tmp/upgrade-[version].log so I can see what happened.
>
>       I'd like it to give me the same graphical text-mode output as the
> boot-floppy (i.e., something like you see when you run "setup", blue
> background, red buttons, etc.) but I want to see it through a telnet
> session.  I should get the same lilo configuration prompts, etc.  When the
> upgrade is complete, I want a message that says:

The install has been redone, so it will check for $DISPLAY if it's set and
works it will run the graphical DrakX, otherwise the text based DrakX

> Your upgrade to Mandrake 7.0 is complete.  The next time you reboot, you
> will be running on the new Linux kernel, 2.4.4ac-mdk.
>
> You can reboot your system now, or continue running on the old kernel.
> What would you like to do?
>
> |Restart Now|         |Restart Later|
>
>       Finally, if the O.S.-level upgrade has serious kernel-level
> changes that REQUIRE a reboot (such as the kernel PPP interface has
> changed again or the libc vendor has changed again) then I'd like to see
> (at the beginning):

>       WARNING: Upgrading your system to Mandrake 7.0 requires rebooting
> your computer!  Make sure you have saved all your files and are ready to
> reboot before performing this upgrade, because you will be forced to
> restart if you continue!
>
> |Continue with Upgrade|                       |Quit|
>
>       ...and then at the end...

> Your upgrade to Mandrake 7.0 is complete.  The next time you reboot, you
> will be running on the new Linux kernel, 2.4.4ac-mdk.
>
> I'm afraid that the upgrade to Mandrake 7.0 requires you to reboot your
> computer, because certain programs need features of the new kernel in
> order to function properly.
>

> |Restart Now|

You will always be required reboot, any attempt to load a module
afterwards will not work as the files will have been deleted.

>       When I upgraded a client to Redhat from 4.x to 5.x (can't remember
> minor versions) the default sendmail configuration file changed to
> disallow any non-enumerated hosts from sending mail through it.
> Suddenly, everybody's email broke, and they're looking at me because they
> know I broke it.  A log file or warning message telling me where to look
> would have saved a couple of hours of panic (I don't know very much about
> sendmail configuration files).

rpm -q --changelog `rpm -qf /etc/some_config.file`

I don't have sendmail installed right this second, but i bet it was
documented in the rpms changelog. Sounds to me like there is a need to be
able to "diff" the --changelog and create a summary per package

>       Finally, all the prompts presented by this "upgrade" program
> should have command-line defaults.  I.e., if I have a beowulf cluster, I
> should be able to run:

Easy replication is already implemented with auto_inst.cfg.pl, cmd line
overides should be trivial

> mandrake-sysupgrade ftp://ftp.foo.bar/pub/Mandrake \
> --lilo=master_boot_record --Xconfig=use_old_config_file --reboot=automatic
>
>       ...and then run this single command on all the computers.
> Something like Redhat's KickStart, I guess (I've never used KickStart).
>
>       Does that sound reasonable?  Should be easy to implement with
> existing RPM commands, yes?

Yep,
cc:'d to relative list :)

--