I've found a fix for this, although it's probably not the "Best
way" (tm) to do it.  After comparing an lm6.1 machine (that works w/ an
SMB printer), and the lm7.0 (that doesn't), I found that
/var/spool/lpd/lp/.config was mode 644 on the 6.1 machine.  Obviously not
good.  The .config on the 7.0 box was 640, root.root.  Changed the .config
on the 7.0 machine to 644 and printing thru smb works.  Didn't like having
.config world-readable, so I changed it back to 640, root.lp.  This works.
I've just noticed that if you run printtool and rebuild the
.config, it sets it back to root.root.  DrakConf will leave the
owner.group perms the same as they were originally, root.lp in this case.

Bottom line, the .config should be owner-root, group-lp.

--
    _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/_/_/      Jeff Stewart
   _/      _/      _/           Computer Sciences Corporation