On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No problem, Axalon...
>
> In /etc/X11/prefdm, I changed every occurrence of gdm and kdm such that gdm
> was always evaluated first:
[..]

> The why?: Well I couldn't get KDM to work so I moved it out of the way of
> GDM in prefdm.

Ah, IC

echo 'GNOME' > /etc/sysconfig/desktop

> Next, in the /etc/X11/gdm directory, I edited gdm.conf to specify the
> marble3D gtkrc file for my login dialog background.  Then I moved on to the
> ./Sessions directory, where I changed my 'Default' link to point to
> 'Enlightenment', and my 'default' link to point to 'Default':
[..]
> Why?: Enlightenment is faster, imho, without gome-session's management, and
> in fact manages apps and windows better.

Doh! we should probably be reading the desktop file also huh, it will get
a new field. This is done somewhere for something else also so should be
easy to track down and implement consistantly.

[..]
> That's about it.  I did encounter one strange thing though: I couldn't
> change my login background color or bitmap in GDM; but when I ran KDE
> (solely for the purpose of bringing up the KDE Desktop Manager applet to
> change the background of __it's__ login screen), it actually changed the
> background color for GDM's login window.  Any idea why that would happen?
> I was happy to get the tile background to change for GDM, but I don't like
> mysterious fixes.
>
> Hope my info is useful to you.  And please let me know if you understand
> the strange KFM/GDM background mystery.
>
> Tim

less /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0

it's not the smartest script in the world but eh..