Timothy Litwiller wrote:

> how do I put two ip addresses to the same network card -
>
> specifically I would like to use my public IP address 203.53.###.53 and
> a private ip address 192.168.2.53 on the same card.
>
> also if this works then what do I need to do to make samba function only
> on the private ip#

I hate to break the news to you, but you can not have to different sub nets
on the same card.  The NIC itself will not support that.  Install a second
NIC (They are rather cheep) and place you private address on it.  Check this
out:

Your NIC can access a large range of addresses on the same net, example:
192.168.0.
On that net, it can use any or all of these address: 192.168.0.1 -
192.168.0.255

Your NIC can not use different nets, example:
192.168.0.
192.168.1.

You have to choose which network it will be used on and stick to that
network.  I, myself wish it could be used over a larger spectrum like:
192.168., but you are stuck with only up to 255 addresses that the NIC can
use at a time.

If you need to have it plugged into one hub, you can always plug your second
NIC into the same hub as the first.

You should really think about setting up your computer to do ip masquerading
and hook NIC 1 up to the public network with your public address and hook up
NIC 2 to your private network via a hub.  Send all traffic through your
box.  That way you can have a pretty good firewall to prevent 99% of all
hackers from accessing your private network.  If you really want to run your
private and public nets on the same hub, keep this in mind:

1.  I can set up a simple gateway linux box to connect to your public
address
2.  Behind my gateway linux box, I can assign one of my computers with an
address that
     would be in the same address range as your local network.
3.  At that point, I would have full access to your local network since your
Linux box is
     not fully routing external and internal traffic.  EASY HACK!

If you set up the Linux box between the two networks, no other connections
between the two networks, proper software setup and the proper settings;
your internal network would be very difficult to gain access to.  I would
suggest that you read up on linux security.  It explains all this...

Michael Kirkpatrick