> how do I put two ip addresses to the same network card -

read (at least on LM6.1):
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Alias
While you are at it (to head off the next question "How do I get my other
machines to access the internet thru the Linux box?"):
Read /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade

Those documents explain how to do this in general.  IP-Aliasing, however,
can be done using linuxconf (Networking/Server Tasks/IP aliases for virtual
hosts).

> also if this works then what do I need to do to make samba
> function only
> on the private ip#

Have not tried to do that yet but I am pretty sure it is just an option in
/etc/smb.conf to control what interfaces and/or what specific IPs can access
the Samba mounts.

Matthew Zaleski