"Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D." wrote:

> I've just reinstalled Mandrake Helios on my pentium platform.  I have a
> Zoom 56K PCI Faxmodem that used to work.  The boot process sets up the ISA
> PnP devices, but when I look for the modem with kppp I get a message that
> the modem is busy.

It used to work?  In Windows 95/98 maybe.  The Zoom PCI modem,
as with 99.99% of all PCI modems, is a WinModem.  In other words,
the parts are stripped out of it, and the functions are in a
Win95 "driver program" that is proprietary and does not work
in Linux.  You need a new modem.  It will also improve the
performance under Windows.  Trust me, I am an ISP.

--
Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]