"Istvan B." wrote:

> I just thought I mention this:
> Actually, it doesn't have to be a WinModem (although this one probably is) to
> have this problem.
> I had (just sold it today) a Diamond SupraExpress PCI modem, which is not a
> winmodem, yet I had the same problems

I just looked, just in case I had missed something.  All Diamond
PCI modems *are* WinModems.  You should get a model number, which
will be on the card, like Model 2920.  They use 4-digits like
that.
"Supra Express" is meaningless as they use this term on ALL the
modems that they make (ie, SupraExpress = ModemMadeByDiamond ).

> as I did with winmodems. It is heavily dependant on full plug'n'play support
> because of the way it communicates through the PCI
> port. On the RedHat hardware compatibility list it is listed as non-compatible.
> But I have found a file VERY hidden on the modem's
> driver disk which had a few lines on how to use it under Linus. This involved
> the use of the DOS driver (which I coud not fin anywhere) and LOADLIN and a few
> changes in autoexec.bat. So, in short, I would have had to 'warm boot' Linux.

A few WinModems, depending on the chipset and vintage, will have
limited functionality as a regular modem.  Generally enough to
allow
for non-compressed communications at 1,200.

MS-DOS is not equal to non-WinModem.  It is perfectly possible to
write a DOS driver for a WinModem, and some manufacturers have
done
this.  In Fact, it is possible to write a WinModem driver that
runs
under Linux, and it is then called a LinModem.  AT&T/Lucent has
opened the design of their chip to Linux folks, and the Lucent
LT Modems now have Linux drivers for them.

There are some things that distinguish the Lucent WinModems from
the
rest, the main one being that ALL Lucent LT modems look the same
from
the computer's point of view.  It does not matter which
manufacturer
the modem is from, if its an LT chipset, it will use the SAME
driver.

There are variants if the modem also is a voice one; using the
generic
modem data driver might make you lose the voice capability.
However,
the generic driver will always work for LT's.  This is a bragging
point on the part of Lucent.  (The voice stuff is external to
their
chipset).

I can say more about Lucent, but will withold it for now.  It is a
great outfit.

There are a couple more WinModems with Linux aspirations.  The
ones
that are non-Lucent have limited functionality.  Either only at
1200
bps, or can be used as dialers and voice only, not data.

One year ago, if you had said PCI modem, I could have
authoritatively
told you it was a WinModem (or RPI, same thing in the end).
However,
that has changed.

There are now three modems that are PCI and not WinModems.  They
are quite rare and not in common availability in the USA.  I have
never seen one in any catalog and they are brands you never heard
of.  Multitech also makes a PCI modem that is not a WinModem if
you
accept the fact that WinModem means a modem that has the DSP and
Compression/ECC implemented in Software.  The Multitech has it in
hardware and is technically not a WinModem.  However, it requires
a special driver anyway as it does not look like a regular serial
port.  This driver has only been released for Windows.

I use a Broader definition of WinModem as "does not respond as a
regular modem and requires special software to work available only
under Microsoft Windows".  But you are welcome to disagree with me
on that and call the Multitech a non-winmodem.

If you do not want to take my word for PCI = WinModem, or harbor
any doubts about your ISA or USB modem being Win or Regular, the
final authoritative listing can be found at

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

and read down and go to the link "View the Entire Table" which
is 345K long and has the best listing.

In particular, you should be on the lookout for Rockwell Chipset
modems.  Most of those are WinModems, and some are particularly
bad such as the HSP and HCF WinModems.  Rockwell sold the chip
division to Connexant, so you will also see them with that label
on the chip.  They also make externals and ISA modems, some of
which are not WinModems.  You should be aware that as an ISP,
and a person that has wide contacts among ISP's, I can tell you
that Rockwell/Connexant modems are simply the worse.  I see a lot
of advertising hype about this and that modem, but if the fine
print says its a Rockwell or Connexant, I advise you to pass.
If they *do not* mention the chipset, you can assume it is
Rockwell
or Connexant WinModem technology as it accounts for about 90% of
the modem market share today.

A Rockwell winModem costs the OEM only about $3 to put in, so you
know now why they are sold so widely.  There is not much to them,
mostly empty chips.  The Lucent chips have some meat in them, ie,
hardware that helps the software do some things.  Better junk.

As an ISP, I have seen and worked with thousands of modems.  For
all practical purposes "I have seen them all" (I do get a surprise
now and then, usually not pleasant).  Often I get folks that have
spent a lot of money on a computer and insist that their modem is
of the "best quality".  Or had very good luck with a Rockwell
and insist that they are "the best" type around.  Most, if not all
of these fold have been exposed to just one or two modems in their
life, and their knowledge is flawed.

If you go out and buy a Modem, stick it in a Windows 95 computer,
fire it up, and insert a disk when the thing says "new hardware
detected".  And then use it successfuly to dial up your ISP, I
do not think that I would call that as 'experienced with this
or that modem'.  It is merely anecdotal experience of the type
that
the manufacturer hopes you have.  To know a modem you have to
experience horror stories with that type, or conversely,
experience nothing but good from this other type.

It is almost like cars.  You could have bought an Edsel and
had nothing but perfect luck with it.  150,000 miles, never even
a flat, used no oil and never squeaked.  To you, Edsels are
great cars.  But the vast majority of people had a different
experience.  Modems are like that.  I can see it:  About ten
people will come into the Mandrake list and start telling us
how good their Rockwell modem is.  All I can say is "Goody for
them!".

PS:  Most, if not all, current production Diamond Multimedia
modems use the Rockwell/Connexant chipset.  You pays your money
and makes your choice.  Cirrus and PCTel chipsets are even worse,
but luckily are rare.

--
Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]