I just thought I mention this:
Actually, it doesn't have to be a WinModem (although this one probably is) to
have this problem.
I had (just sold it today) a Diamond SupraExpress PCI modem, which is not a
winmodem, yet I had the same problems
as I did with winmodems. It is heavily dependant on full plug'n'play support
because of the way it communicates through the PCI
port. On the RedHat hardware compatibility list it is listed as non-compatible.
But I have found a file VERY hidden on the modem's
driver disk which had a few lines on how to use it under Linus. This involved
the use of the DOS driver (which I coud not fin anywhere) and LOADLIN and a few
changes in autoexec.bat. So, in short, I would have had to 'warm boot' Linux.

Istvan