On Thu, 09 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> My terminal servers are Livingston Portmaster PM3.  They
> use Lucent chipsets.  Their protocols are K56Flex/V.90.  The
> server will tell the client first to try V.90.  That is the
> default and is shown in the logs.

Ahh...Ok. Gotcha. I forgot you use the PM3s. We use an
Ascend product here (Max TNT) so we ALWAYS have trouble
with USR products and have to tell clients to turn OFF the
X2 protocol, as it seems they will have NOTHING but
problems connecting unless they disable X2
(www.808hi/56k/trouble2.htm is the site I use now-a-days
for most 56k modem trouble-shooting.)

> I have never really seen any K56Flex connections.  The code
> for this is rather old now, and the K56Flex and the Robbed
> Bit signalling/D4/AMI/CT1 used by the Telephone Company in
> their DMS-10 Nortel switch is not conducive to their working.
> There are worse switches, I understand from some ISP's that
> what their phone company uses has never allowed any of the
> 56K protocols.  This all has to do with how the phone company
> changes the signal from Analog to Digital in their Codecs.

OUR problem is that our LEC has us on a switch with copper
instead of fiber like the original work order specified,
and the switch we're on is KNOWN to have problems... *SIGH*
We just encourage most of our users to get ISDN, because it
either works or it doesn't. There's no in-between like with
analog modems. Plus they get faster connects & better
throughput with an ISDN router. :-)

> The best of the WinModems, for what it is worth, is the Lucent.
> They are now better than the US Robotics WinModem.  The Lucent
> needs a driver of Version 5.66 or better.  With the new driver
> it is a good performer.

I'll keep that in mind. I still don't like WinModems,
though. :-)

> Such is the life of an ISP.

:-) Yep. Then again, there's the days you walk in and your
main machine is locked up. :-(
        John