Vern....I've used the desktop update icon extensively in
mandrake 6.0 and 6.1 and it worked just fine, but since
installing 7.0 every time I've checked there's been nothing to
update.

I believe I'd uninstall all three netscape rpms and then hand
install the new ones.  You can do this on the command line with
rpm or with kpackage from KDE.  I almost always use kpackage
myself.  If you use kpackage, after uninstalling all three then
install common first then either of the other two, and finally
disable checking for dependencies when installing the last one.

I downloaded the 128 bit encryption version od Netscape 4.72
from one of the crypto mirrors listed on the Mandrake web page.
If it turns out you have to re-download, you might consider
doing that as well.

The rpms you already downloaded should be in the /tmp (that's
the one in the / directory) IIRC.  So you should be able to try
them again before re-downloading anything again.

Have you looked in the /usr/bin/ directory to see if the shell
script and the two softlinks are there (netscape,
netscape-communicator, and netscape-navigator)?

Alan