Tom Berkley wrote:

> Trevor
>
> Its a bit difficult for me to relate to your problems. I have two
> machines, one a dual celeron and the other a laptop, both installed and
> run Mandrake 7.0 (GL edition) without any hassles except for a minor
> problem with the pcmcia modem initialization that has to do with an
> interrupt assignment. If you want to use linux then I recommend that you
> have a disk drive(s) big enough for at least two installs. The reliable
> one that you work with and another where you install and play until that
> becomes the better system and then you switch. My other system
> (/dev/hdb7 on the dual celeron) now runs redhat 6.2 but it started as
> 6.1 and grew thru 6.2beta and now 6.2 with some additional mods. Its not
> a reliable system but it gets better each time I play with it. Playing
> equals learning for me.

I agree, playing = learning for me too, & I wish I had the resources to run 2
systems at home, just as you suggest. But my resources are limited (tightly!)
hence my buying "el cheapo" in the first place. And in a work environment,
the reliable one is your server that MUST be up all the time. So a second
machine is essential to do what you suggest.

> Mostly what you bitch about is probably
> something that you are ignorant about and that is fixable. Tossing a
> linux cd in the trash is just an act of surrendering to that ignorance.

NO! It is an acknowledgement that the product is not up to the standard
necessary for implementation, and that the employer is not paying us to do
Linux development.

> Now you can chose to overcome that state of mind or not. The choice is
> yours, in fact its everyone's choice. Best of luck and hope you choose
> the path of learning.
>
> Best regards
>
> Tom Berkley

Tom,

I have two distinct situations here:

1) When I am at work, I am not paid to do Linux development, and I simply
don't have time to!  We are (unfortunately) primarily a M$ site (with some
Novell servers) and that is what I am paid to administer, BUT, I am working
to try to implement Linux in my workplace as I believe it is a better
solution. To convince management, I need a product that is up to a standard
which poorly trained staff (the only kind we have!) can install and
administer. They only look at $$$ - it must be cheaper, and, of course, work
better!

2) At home, yes, there I am the enthusiast, who will play & learn to the
limits of my ability, time, money, and other responsibilities.