On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 09:45:17AM +1000, Trevor Farrell wrote:
-> Tom Berkley wrote:
->
-> > Trev
-> >

->
-> Excellent, Tom, that is what I need to do, once I find a distro that will do all
-> we want. I work in a Govt dept, where we supply IT services to the health sector,
-> including ALL the hospitals in the region. This means, to me, 2 things:
->
-> 1) whatever we use has to be rock solid! Peoples lives depend on it being up 24/7
-> (so why the hell are we using M$??? - historical/marketing!)
->
-> 2) Whatever we use must be compatible with the level of govt we report to and with
-> other services we communicate with. Basically, that means M$ os's and M$ Office
-> 2000.
->
-> Unfortunately, our changeover cost will be high - simply the cost of
-> re-installing/replacing 1000 computers and retraining staff who are either totally
-> computer illiterate or have M$ at home, will be enormous. There will be massive
-> resistance (perhaps Civileme can comment here, as I believe he has been down this
-> path?) from all levels - and my management won't say Boo! to their bosses without
-> asking permission (in writing) first. So the case has to be clearcut, and the
-> process as painless as possible. M$ have made it easier be a licensing scheme that
-> means I can save about $400,000 pa by shafting M$, so that gives me a decent
-> budget to work in!

Don't worry about the desktops! Get Linux running on the servers
first. That is what Linux does best, and better than NT. then you dump the
training issue. You only have to train the half dozen or so sys admins who
will have to deal with the servers.

That $400K should at least be partially spent on training for you and the
other admins.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley