The more custom a system is the less likely an upgrade will work,
this goes for Linux, Microsoft and pretty much everybody else. If Murphy
wrote laws of OS's this would probably be #1. With extreamly customizable
OS such as linux you can see it's apt to work even less often, and then
there is also of course the number of programs, MacOS and Windows are
primaraly one application, where as Linux is not we not only have to worry
about the paintbrush, notepad, write, but we also get Adaptec and Adobe's
jobs too (and countless others).

Ok now before I get flamed for "Just makeing excuses", I'm not.
I know (and agree) Linux upgrades fail more than they should. But look at
the recources the average linux dist has compared to Mac and Windows, MS's
internal testers out number the average Linux distro's whole staff by
atleast 5 to 1.    just food for thought. should anyone do a paper or
anything like that on this i'd like to see full stats just for shits and
giggles