Loren,
This subject was on the HOT news very long time
Here is the bottom line
If you are having your config file on the hard disk, insert the line
append = "mem=xxxMb"
under the boot info "stanza"

If you boot from FD you have to modify the config file on the frloppy
not on the HD
There is onother way but is time consuming

Good luck,