vern wrote:

> Hello all,
> I just spent the afternoon hunting up all the infos,
> HOWTO's and man pages that weren't  installed
> on my initial installation.  Spent quite a time with
> the CDROM,CD-R HOWTO's.  That left me with
> another question or two.  I can read CD's CD-R's,
> but no CD-RW's does that mean that they are
> automatically in the UDF format??  Or are they
> merely not finished tracks?  My ultimate goal is
> to use the CD-RW as a big floppy to archive
> data to.  I hope "dump" and "restore" will use
> the CD-RW someday, if I can figure out all the
> ins and outs.
> Thanks for any help!
> Vern

If you use your CD-RW as backup storage with Windows
software allowing you to use the drive as a standard
disk (and/or drag and drop files) the sessions on the
CD-RW media are usually NOT closed (allowing you to
"add" files as you need to.
To be able to read them with ISO9660, you have to close
the session. This is even true with Windows itself,
if you try to read them in a drive that does not support
multi-session.

There is an experimental UDF (i.e. "packet writing")
file system for linux at the follwing URL:
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/

However it does NOT yet support writing on CD-RW drives,
only as yet on HD, floppy and MO drives.

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France