On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 08:10:50PM -0500, Matt Stegman wrote:
-> On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Charles Curley wrote:
-> > Mess-DOS uses FAT-16, not FAT-32, so it is limited to a partition of 2
-> > GB. NT 4 with no SPs also has this problem for FAT partitions. As far as I
-> > know, there is no SP for NT 4 that supports FAT-32, so you may be out of
-> > luck there.
->
-> That's correct.  However, System Internals
-> (http://www.sysinternals.com) produces a product that will let NT 4 read
-> from (and write to, if you purchase the full version) FAT32
-> filesystems.  You still can't use one as a boot partition, so you'll need
-> at least one FAT16/NTFS filesystem.

Ah, thank you.

->
-> > Then install DOS on the DOS partition. Get that running. Then install NT
-> > on the NT partitions. DO NOT USE NTFS. You will not be able to read NTFS
-> > partitions from Linux except with an experimental driver, which may not be
-> > reliable (I don't know, I haven't tried it lately). Installing NT will
-> > modify the DOS partition and change its boot sequence to allow you to boot
-> > to DOS or to the NT partition.
->
-> The NTFS driver works fine in Linux.  The _read_ driver, that is.  I
-> haven't tried the 2.3 writeable driver.  It's marked *DANGEROUS* in the
-> kernel config, though, so don't use it on any volume containing anything
-> you can't afford to lose.
->
-> NTFS has advantages over FAT, too: it's journaled (no filesystem checks
-> after a crash), it can handle volume sizes up to 4GB, it's faster, and...
-> hmm, well, I guess that's about it.

It is, however, proprietary and undocumented, where FAT16 is proprietary
but very well publicly documented.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley