Greetings everyone
I have been fof the list for a month while travelling England so forgive me if these
questions have already been covered
I love Mandrake and found it to be the least broken and most featured upon fresh
install of all the distros that I have tried ( quite a few)
While in England I picked up a magazine with a free version of Mandrake 7 on it (
Another mag had Corel Linux so I bought that too , why dont the State side mags give
away free CD's?)
So I ran a fresh install on my laptop which had Mandrake 6.1 on it
Now posotove things first
Mandrake got the video card identified and set up under X all by itself. Every other
distro has required ne to tweak the XF86Config file by hand. Very impressive :-)
However I did have other error messages

Like upon re-booting directy after a fresh install

a failed  "file system  supermount not supported by the kernel"
I searched /etc/fstab  and found no reference to 'supermount file system but did
find some srange syntax, which I put back to how I thought it should be and that
error message went away next time I booted. I dont feel I found the problem though

then under Mandrake 6.1 the shutdown process always turned the machine off, now it
doesnt , just leaves it at the system halted screen. Somewhere I get a messgae that
APM is not supported by this kernel
This seems to be a shame, no?

IMHO Mandrake 6.1 gave the least errors and was excellent for first timers

Any comments anyone?

Phil

--
Phil Risby