As a matter of fact, /bin/mount _is_ installed suid. don't know about the rest,
but I'll check the filelist in a few minutes after I shifted trough all of my
emails from the weekend. a possible scenario is that the user hasn't been
hacked, but that the security database somehow got corrupted, therefore seized
to exist of was unreadable, hence the security update had nothing to compare
against, and each suid program was a "new" suid program. Other possible
scanario: it's the first time this program ran, and it had no previous database,
resulting in more or less the same situation as above. Third possible
scenario: user just changed security levels, in the old security level the
security update wasn't sheduled, in this one it was, the rest is the same as the
previous scenario.

You know the saying about bad memories, right? "The great thing about a bad
memory is that you can get amazed time after time about the same old
things..." (or something along those lines). Well, it applies to this situation
very well.

Before assuming the worst (which when it comes to security issues is a very good
reaction), check, and rule out other possibillities first. If I got a nickel for
every time the computer thought the end of the world was near, I'd be sporting a
big 'ole bag full o' nickles and a truckload of bubble-gum by now ;-)

--

Rial Juan                        <http://nighty.ulyssis.org>
                e-mail:              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The little critters in nature; they don't know they're ugly.
That's very funny... A fly marying a bumble-bee...

Sign the petition at http://www.libranet.com/petition.html
Help bring us more Linux Drivers