> Ted Wager wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Civileme wrote:
> > > Well, try downloading tomsrtbt and making a boot floppy to boot his
> > > linux, then
> > >
> > > # chroot  /dev/hdb1
> > > # mkbootdisk  --2.2.13-7mdk
> > >
> > > Civileme
> >
> > I downloaded the latest tomsrtbt..
> > A chroot  to any of my 3 linux partitions tells me..
> > chroot
> > usage chroot directory program [arg....]
> > Also if I try to mount any of the linux parttitions I get
> > couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features
> > mount: wrong fs type bad option etc.....
> > Wonder if anyone can tell me what is wrong...I have used tomsrtbt in the past
> > but this is the latest version.Is it my machine or the tomsrtbt disk ??
> >    Regards Ted
>
> Ted.....tomsrtbt is in need of a kernal update to support the
> ext2 filesystems created by the newest distros.  He has said
> that he is working on it but with the recent birth of a new baby
> daughter in March his time has been severely limited.
>
> In the interim, you should be able to use your boot floppy that
> you created during installation and a rescue.img (copied onto a
> floppy from your installation cd with rawrite.exe in dos) floppy
> as a pair to do the same thing Civileme suggested.  Boot with
> the boot floppy and at the boot: prompt type rescue and insert
> the rescue.img floppy.  Then follow Civileme's instructions.
> Alan

[I was the originator of this thread]
I also tried what Civileme suggested without success, as pointed out
by Ted.  I tried all sorts of variations and always got complaints.
Any other way around this ?

Since I could not get 'chroot' working, 'mkbootdisk' was not possible.
I managed to mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt" and then proceeded to copy all
files in /boot onto a floppy and use that for bootup.

With tomsrtbt, is there a way to find out which are Linux partitions
on the drive(s) ?  I mean without guessing by trying to mount each
of the /dev/hd[ab][1-9] disk devices.

Thanks... Dan.