Steve Olson wrote:

> I thought I'd prevail upon the experts in the list.  I''m trying to get Lilo or
> Powerquest's Bootmagic to work as a bootloader.  Only problem is:  Lilo won't
> load and BM won't properly boot the Linux Partition.

LILO and BM are NOT alternatives, in that you always need LILO
installed on every Linux partition because it supplies the partition
boot record.  If you want to use both BM and LILO, then each Linux
partition must have LILO installed on it (NOT on the MBR, hda1).

> I have a 20 gig Hard drive, with 6 for Linux and Swap partitions.  LILO says
> can't be installed on a  partitoin that goes beyond cylinder 1024... thats a laugh...
> 99% of the drives sold in the last five years have cylinders many times 1024...

The 1024 refers to virtual cylinders and is only a restriction for
booting from the BIOS.  A big disk drive must be set up as LBA in the
BIOS (backup first!) to lift the 1024 limit from about 500MB to about
8 GB, which usually meets all needs if all bootable partitions start
below the 8GB line.  The drive itself remembers its LBA status and
does all the logical CHS to physical CHS translation.

In any case, use of Boot Magic (which resides in the first drive
first cylinder and is itself the only thing ever booted by the BIOS)
enables you to boot bootable partitions anywhere on any disk because
it has no 1024 cylinder limit.

--

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Linux.