Mark Weaver wrote:

> Have you tried re-creating this directory? sorry if you already stated
> this in an earlier post. I don't have that one in my inbox any longer, but
> it seems to me that would be the next logical step in the process.
>
> I would think that /tmp would be an important part of the file system and
> a server such as "X" wouldn't be able to run without it. Maybe I'm
> speaking out of turn here, but where else would it write the temp files to
> if not to /tmp. I'm not sure about the permissions, but it's worth a try.

No, no.  In 7.0, Manrake put PERMANENT files into /tmp.

Contrary wo what Chmouel said, it FAILED if /tmp was deleted and
re-created,
even if X wasn't up at the time, and even if you rebooted.

The easy fix is to re-install the font server.

(Of course, you must also re-create /tmp and all that, but the Mandrake
bug was much worse than that.  It does appear, however, that it's fixed
in 7.1.)

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org